Google+

Gold Key Painted Cover Gallery

Gold key comic book covers Dr solar korak mighty samson magnus robot fighter

Confession: I used to HATE Gold Key comics when I was a little kid. They lure you in with awesome covers, but the stories and art were almost invariably deadly dull. I'm talking about titles that promised so much potential, like The Twilight Zone and Star Trek.

I started reading comics in the early 1970's -- the era of Neal Adams and Jim Aparo and John Buscema. I couldn't yet appreciate the conservative approach of Gold Key artists Russ Manning, Bob Fujitani and Alberto Giolitti. But even they were a rarity.

Gold Key + 1970's = boring.

There. I said it. BUT...

Doctor Solar Man of the Atom painted Gold key comic book covers

Those COVERS! What a dreamland of possibilities those painted worlds implied!

There's a nice gallery of Gold Key cover paintings at http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/07/07/365-reasons-to-love-comics-188/

Dr. Solar Man of the Atom painted Gold key comic book covers

2 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Sherm: Have I got a suprise for you! email coming ;-) -- Mykal

Mykal Banta said...

Sherm: Have I got a suprise for you! email coming ;-) -- Mykal