Google+

How Many Licks, indeed? The full-length UNCUT version of the classic Tootsie-Pop commercial!

Did you know that there was a minute-long version of this classic cartoon commercial? I didn't -- until I ran across this on the web somewhere.




I always had a feeling that there were more scenes, because the kid sounds so exasperated when he finally gets to Mr. Owl -- as if he's been asking this question a million times...

You gotta love the Peter Lorre-esque Mr. Fox...

Mr. Fox detail from 1970's classic How Many Licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a tootsie Pop TV commercial


...so mysterious with those shades!

I think that this was one of those cartoons that I saw as a kid that burned the love of cartoons into my brain. The others were also part of a weird potpourri of sensory input that set me on the long and twisted path to a life as a cartoonist: Freakies cereal commercials, the first few Peanuts TV specials, Filmation's DC superheroes cartoons from the 60's, PD Eastman books and Yogi Bear reruns on weekday mornings before walking to grade school. Sssssnnnifffff! -- Ahhh! The smell of cartoons...

3 comments:

Chris Duffy said...

I remember the episodic version quite well. And you mentioned the Freakies cereal ads. Those are amazingly etched into my memory. I craved the little action figures that came in the boxes, though I think I only collected 2 in the end. (I think I got the guy who was just a head with two legs a few times.)

And PD Eastman--yeah, he was good...

Anonymous said...

What year was the tootsie pop commercial made? I recall first seeing it in the early 1970's.

Powerpuff Guy said...

What a classic commercial! Tootsie has to make this full length again!