Google+

This image burned my brain when I was a little kid...

This image burned my brain when I was a little kid...


I think it's one of the reasons I decided to become a cartoonist. I first saw this image in Jim Steranko's History of Comics book, and I remember begging my parents to buy the book for me at the Pickwick bookstore when I was about seven years old.
For full impact, you gotta see it BIG
at http://tinyurl.com/Submariner-Torch
This is just one of thirteen gorgeous comic book pin-ups specially commissioned for the Jim Steranko Calendar for 1971. See the whole thing in high-resolution at the Golden Age Comic Book Stories blog.

4 comments:

Honolulu Dogfight said...

That is wonderful. You might not think that crosshatching would work, but there it is, it looks great. Thanks for posting that.

The Vault Keeper said...

Two great characters, and memorable fights between them. FUN.
Great poses too, I mean that's what mostly makes a good drawing. Thanks!

P.S.: I love those lines over the Human Torch. I still trace them when I draw Johnny or the old Human Torch.

Chris Duffy said...

Sherm! Me too! I read and reread that first Steranko book over and over, pouring over the tiny covers and almost living inside the full page illos on those giant pages...

Sherm said...

Chris...those full-page drawings WERE giant...especially when you're a little kid who's only about three feet tall. It's amazing what kind of impact an image like that can have on a kid's eyeballs and psyche.

Unlike TV, movie and video-game imagery, comic book images don't go anywhere...you can keep staring at them in a trance, and it sounds like we both fell under the hypnotic spell of this one.