Google+

Count Screwloose vs. Harry the Hoople Snake! Rare 1948 Comic Book Scans from Milt Gross

Here's another never-been-reprinted, scarcely-seen cartoon blast of brilliance from that Napoleon of nonsense, MILT GROSS! (Applause!!!)

Harry the Hoople-Snake chases after Count Screloose by Milt Gross

This frenetic five-pager from 1948 was hidden in the back of issue #14 of ACG Comics "The Kilroys," which is otherwise just a run-of-the-mill teen comedy Archie-wanna-be. I gotta thank Eddie Trigueros for turning me on to this book. He was even nice enough to let me scan it, but like a doofus, I lost all the scans when I was resizing the images in Photoshop.

Freaky cartoon guy pops out of a tree with a big cartoon worm on his nose milt-gross-count-screwloose

So I had to find the comic on eBay, and rescan my own copy. Good news is that these oddball funnybooks can be gotten online for not too much dough! I always try to find these golden-age cartoon and funny-animal comics in the worst condition possible. As long as they're readable, that's fine by me! I'd rather get four or five old crumbling comics for five bucks each than just one that's in more decent shape. Anyway, here are a few preview panels to get you warmed up...

Count Screwloose is scared of Harry the Hoople-Snake insane guy in the background runs with his umbrella

Harry the Hoople-Snake chases after Count Screloose by Milt Gross

There's no explanation for Harry the Hoople-Snake. He is what he is. It's a cartoon!

Harry the Hoople-Snake chases after Count Screloose by Milt Gross

milt-gross-count-screwloose bounces over the wall of the insane asylum

milt-gross-count-screwloose falls back to earth

So after escaping the nuthouse, Count Screwloose ends up as a contestant on a radio quiz show...

milt-gross-count-screwloose lands in a game show

milt-gross-count-screwloose on a game show speaks into a giant microphone

milt-gross-count-screwloose the audience applauds

What great crowds! Every face is hideously different. A real horror show for our hero.

milt-gross-count-screwloose all the ugly ladies love Screwloose and line up to kiss him

WHAPPO! Man, I love the energy in this drawing below --

milt-gross-count-screwloose whaps the emcee with the big microphone stand

As usual, Count Screwloose escapes back IN to the Balmycrest Booby-Hatch where life is not so crazy!

milt-gross-count-screwloose dives back into the BalmyCrest Booby-hatch insane asylum

The WHOLE five-page story is available to click on and download below.

milt-gross-count-screwloose

Wow! The crowd LOVES it!


Just CLICK on each of the images below and a nice BIG comic book scan page will open in a new window. Enjoy!
Count Screwloose comic book scans by Milt Gross



Count Screwloose comic book scans by Milt Gross

Just CLICK on each of the images below and a nice BIG comic book scan page will open in a new window.
Count Screwloose comic book scans by Milt Gross

Count Screwloose comic book scans by Milt Gross

Count Screwloose comic book scans by Milt Gross

Fun + anarchy + cartooning genius = Milt Gross

A few months ago I posted a fantastic seven-page Count Screwloose comedy epic from ACG's Kilroys #5. Just CLICK below on the goofy dude smoking a mouthfull of cigars to jump over and see that delicious set of vintage comic book scans!
Milt Gross  comic book scan detail of a funny man smoking seven cigars at once

John K. wrote a couple posts that really sum up all that is wonderful about Milt Gross. Check out his insightful and heartfelt articles on Milt Gross HERE: all kinds of stuff: WOW. MILT GROSS. style, observation, sincerity, humanity
...and HERE: all kinds of stuff: Milt Gross comics, drawing with every principle EXCEPT construction

And the Asifa-Hollywood Animation Archive has some super scans of Milt Gross newspaper comics like Count Screwloose and Dave's delicatessen HERE.
UPDATE: There are a LOT more comic book scans to look at and download! Click HERE

7 comments:

Charlie said...

Genius, Sherm!

"What great crowds! Every face is hideously different. A real horror show for our hero."

Thats how you can always tell if it's Gross or his assistant. Alot of the pages in That's My Pop Sees New York weren't actually by Gross, and you can tell because he repeats faces. Some great stuff in that one though!

Anonymous said...

One amazing thing you may notice too is the "daring" and unconventional treatment of the panel layouts!! The abstract positioning of each panel and the character overlapping outside of the borders is refreshing and extremely bold considering we are talking the late 40's here!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Another thing I wanted to add (then I'll step away as I'm probably beginning to be a nuisance by commenting so often here) is that there is another thing to note here when looking at the Heckle and Jeckles and Count Screw Looses and other stories that Sherm has been sharing with us. It reminds me of something my late father once said as he saw a trend in cartoons and comics alike start to go toward a "realism" in design (3D) and in storylines. He hated it! He said, when I want a cartoon, I want funny, silly and even whacky and exaggerated art, story lines and jokes. If I want realism and drama, I will turn on the TV and watch the news or some drama series. He kept telling me to "keep it simple" when I would struggle with my character designs while trying to add more and more features on them. SIMPLICITY is underrated he would tell me. Funny, for a guy that was not an artist, I feel that he is right! That's what is so special about these comics and is so endearing to me. I loved the talking magpies and crazy cats and dogs etc. It is just plain silly!! That is what I'm aiming to try and bring back in my work.

Sherm said...

Keep those comment coming, Todd!

I feel the same way about bringing fun and absurdity back to comics -- that's why I wanted to share this comic! I want to see stuff in cartoons and comics that you can't do in any other medium...and Milt Gross does just that!

After reading your previous comment, I went back and looked at all the panel borders, trying to figure out what Gross what thinking. And then I slapped myself and just enjoyed the fact that it works!

Keep rockin' those comments, pal! --Sherm

Anonymous said...

Neat!

Will Finn said...

Thanks Sherm,

I became a fan of Gross in the early 70's when his comics were reprinted in an otherwise dreary nostalgia magazine. I loved the drawings and flipped when I saw that the dates were the 20's and earlier--he was way ahead of his time. He's been on the top of my list ever since.

This is a fine entry in the Count's adventures. How many times a day have I felt : "This place is getting to me Iggy. It's full of crazy..."

Sherm said...

Hi, Will--really glad to know you like these Gross posts. He's really overdue for the "deluxe reprint" treatment!

I've enjoyed reading your small room blog, so its a cool treat to find out you're hanging out here. I've got a few more Milt Gross scans to post, so stay tuned...

Best, --Sherm